Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Make & Bake

That time of year has come and gone again.  Make & Bake is a program combining Teen Cooking Club and First Friday Art Club into a 2 hour creation fest.  I remember being too young to work and lacked enough craft supplies to make cool things for my friends and family.  Therefore, I scramble through the year for supplies necessary for my teens to make marvelous treasures for those they love.

This year we hosted a special collaboration with Amy Ruza from The Rockwell Museum for attendees to make ceramic ornaments for the holidays.  Although I had several tables set up for various crafts, the ceramic ornaments table stole the spotlight!

The flurry of activity gave way to these:
The tough part of making ceramics is waiting for them to be fired (not like what Donald Trump does to people on The Apprentice!).  We may not have these ready in time for Christmas, but I think gifts are extra fun when the holiday is passed, but there is still something special to give.

Along with these ceramic specialties, there were Snow Bottles to create.

Wine bottles look extra elegant when spray painted and dipped in Epsom salt.  The inspiration came from this blog.  I sourced plain bottles and was very happy not to peel off labels, etc.  We drew in hot glue as a resist for the spray paint.  Then sprayed white primer, followed by spray adhesive and Epsom salt.  The hot glue can be peeled off to reveal the clear glass once everything is dry.  I added LED lights to mine for a festive effect.

Hand sewing skills were required for these cute handwarmers.
Some kids got creative with the fabric designs.  I wish these were made for me!

Scented pine cones were another option, although the ceramics took away any interest in natural objects.
After 1 hour of baking out any bugs, spritz the cones with essential oil water.  We broke tradition and used oil of Wintergreen.  Mmm!

These yummy Salted Caramel Turtle Thumbprint Cookies were a special treat made by me, because we simply ran out of time.  While the kids created, I baked!  These are so fabulous, go ahead and bake them, but please, please, PLEASE share with me!!!

Now you have the sources to make your own hand made gifts for your loved ones.

Merry Christmas!

Love, Erica







No comments:

Post a Comment